Consensys, the developer of the popular MetaMask crypto wallet, has released a new feature called MetaMask Snaps. Snaps are third-party apps and add-ons that can be installed directly into MetaMask to add new features and functionality.
Previously, MetaMask users were limited to the features that were built by MetaMask developers. With Snaps, users now have a wider range of options to choose from, including:
- Clearer transaction insights
- Interoperability with non-EVM blockchains
- Notifications about decentralized applications (dapps)
Solflare, a crypto wallet provider focused on the Solana blockchain, is one of the first companies to launch a Snap. The Solflare Snap will allow MetaMask users to manage their Solana holdings directly from their MetaMask accounts.
Snaps are permissionless, meaning they do not need to be approved by MetaMask. This gives developers more freedom to create new and innovative features. “With Snaps, we think what really makes it interesting is that it’s something that you couldn’t do before with a wallet,” said Christian Montoya, a senior product manager at MetaMask Snaps. “There’s just nothing like it.”
The public launch of MetaMask Snaps is a major step forward for the development of the Web3 ecosystem. It allows users to customize their wallets to meet their specific needs and preferences, and it opens up new possibilities for innovation.
Here are some of the benefits of using MetaMask Snaps:
- More choice: With Snaps, users have a wider range of features and functionality to choose from.
- More flexibility: Snaps are permissionless, so developers have more freedom to create new and innovative features.
- More security: Snaps are audited by MetaMask, so users can be confident that they are safe to use.
If you are a MetaMask user, I encourage you to check out MetaMask Snaps. It is a powerful new way to customize your wallet and make it work the way you want it to.