Snapchat has introduced a new feature that enables parents to block their teenagers’ access to the AI chatbot, “My AI,” enhancing the app’s safety and control measures. This move aligns with Snapchat’s commitment to providing a secure online environment for its younger users.
Snapchat’s Rules for Parents and Safety Checklist
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for teen users, Snapchat has outlined specific rules for parents. These include guidelines such as:
- Only Connect with Family and Friends: Parents should encourage their teens to only invite and accept friend invitations from people they know in real life.
- Carefully Pick a Username: Choosing a non-revealing username can help maintain privacy.
- Sign Up with a Real Age: Accurate age information is crucial for accessing age-appropriate content.
- Double Check Location-Sharing: Parents should review and adjust their teen’s location-sharing settings for safety.
- Talk to a Trusted Adult: Teens should be encouraged to discuss any concerns with a trusted adult.
- Use In-App Reporting: Familiarizing with Snapchat’s reporting tools can help address inappropriate content or behavior.
- Think Before Sending: Teens need to consider the potential impact of their snaps before sending them.
- Join Snapchat’s Family Center: This feature provides additional tools for parents to supervise their teen’s Snapchat activity.
Parental Controls on Snapchat
Snapchat’s latest update in its Family Center settings now includes a “Restrict Sensitive Content” feature. This function allows parents to limit the type of content accessible to their teens within certain sections of the app, such as Stories and Spotlight. However, it’s important to note that this restriction doesn’t extend to other areas of the app, including Chat, Snaps, and Search.
‘My AI’ on Snapchat
‘My AI’ is an innovative chatbot integrated into Snapchat, designed to engage users in conversation. It functions by processing user inputs, whether typed or spoken and generates responses by searching available databases. This tool serves as an interactive feature, answering questions and conversationally providing information.
With the introduction of parental controls to restrict access to ‘My AI’ and other safety measures, Snapchat continues to prioritize the well-being of its younger audience. These updates reflect the company’s ongoing efforts to create a safer and more controlled environment for teens while maintaining the fun and interactive essence of the app.
For more information on Snapchat‘s safety features and how to use them, parents are encouraged to visit Snapchat’s official website and explore the Family Center.